School and Teacher Consultation
Licensed social workers and psychologists collaborate with parents and schools by communicating and coordinating their efforts as a team. Our mission is to serve the learning and behavioral needs of students who are having difficulty in the classroom setting.
- Parent initiates contact between consultant and school (as parent sees fit or as requested by school).
- Define roles of consultant, parent and school team at the on-site school consultation.
- Consultant will collect and analyze data during an in-school observation. This will likely occur during the most challenging times of the child’s school day.
- Work collaboratively to create a plan to increase child’s success in school.
- Reduce consultant involvement over time and fade out plan systematically as team sees progress related to student’s goals.
Collaborative Problem Solving
- Sharing Perspectives: Before the consultant gives professional advice based on specific training and experience while encouraging everyone to engage in positive communication on behalf of the student, all parties involved share concerns and information about student’s difficulties.
- Cooperative Partnership: Ongoing discussion between consultant, teachers, and parents regarding the mutual goals of promoting success for the student.
- Clarify Problem and Analyze: Once problem is defined in clear and measurable terms the consultant collects data and helps develop a clear plan of action.
- Generate Ideas: Brainstorm all possible solutions while looking at challenges from all angles.
- Evaluate Effectiveness of Strategy: Once all ideas are established, decide on which strategy will be most effective and implement and monitor it.
Staff development and training to further enhance their knowledge on ADHD, behavior management and effective discipline strategies. PowerPoint presentation, handouts and interactive role-play situations are often utilized to enhance skills and knowledge.
Benefits of School Consultation
- Frequent and thorough communication
- Helps close the gaps socially, behaviorally and academically to help each student reach their fullest potential
- Facilitate a stronger relationship between schools and parents
- Helps support parents if they need/want someone to speak on their behalf