Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) utilizes behavioral principles in order to develop communication, daily living skills, reciprocal social interaction and positive social behavior. It is a scientifically validated approach to understanding how environmental factors impact behavior. Positive Reinforcement is one of those principles, and explains that whenever a behavior is followed by a reward, the behavior is more likely to be repeated. Children receiving ABA therapy services receive tons of positive reinforcement for demonstrating useful skills and socially appropriate behaviors related to their goals. ABA utilizes a goal driven approach to emphasize positive interactions and enjoyable learning while promoting a child’s skills through positive reinforcement, motivation, repetition, and visual aids.
We provide ABA to a wide range of families based on how they intend to pay for services:
We provide many types of ABA therapy services for children, adolescents and adults:
Direct service care (in all settings) by RBTs, BCBAs and LBAs
Team leader (“Quarterback”)
ABA Skills, FBA & BIP Evaluations
Transition Coordination Services
Supervision of BCBA & RBT
Expert witness testimony
Program assessment & development
Workshops & trainings
Common components of ABA programming at NYC based MPG:
- Comprehensive Support – Our BCBAs provide direct intensive behavioral intervention, supervision of BCBA-eligible staff and team leadership in the home, school and community. We support the individual, family and entire educational team, including parent training, school transition and inclusion, professional workshops and expert testimony. We can also conduct ABA skills, FBA, BIP and educational program evaluations.
- Functional Communication – Our therapists are also trained in picture exchange communication (PECs)
- Increase and Maintain Reciprocal Interactions – We want children to initiate interactions in play and maintain turn taking and sensory social engagement with both peers and adults
- Focus on Play – we use a naturalistic behavioral model that is focused on learning through play and engagement. Our therapists utilize the following approaches: Early Start Denver Model, Pivotal Response Training, and Natural Environment Teaching.
- Reinforcement – focus on naturalistic, embedded reinforcers. We want the child to want to play with us and engage in a play routine. ABA is fun!
- Maintenance and Generalization – Skills need to be mastered and generalized across people and settings. It is our goal that the child will engage in desired behaviors spontaneously no matter where they are or who they are with.
- Outcome-based Decision Making – We place a large focus on initial and ongoing assessments (e.g., VB-MAPP, ABLLS, AFLS, VABS, FAST) to guide decision making, curriculum development and goal setting. This includes Functional Behavioral Assessment and BIP development. Our team meets on an ongoing basis to maintain consistency.
- Data Collection – Frequent, rigorous and meaningful data collection and monitoring via regular team meetings to ensure integrity of the program, including IOA-interobserver agreement
- Task Analysis – we break down larger behaviors into smaller tasks, then teach each task individually in order to increase mastery and fluidity of the larger behavior.
MPG provides ABA therapy services for children, adolescents and adults who may have eating, speaking, emotional, and/or behavioral difficulties. We can work in the home, at school, in the community and in our offices, during the week and even on the weekends! Our office is located in Manhattan, NYC and is easily accessible by car or public transit. Finally, MPG provides BCBA services for school districts and non-profit organizations.