Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) utilizes behavioral principles in order to develop communication, daily living skills, reciprocal social interaction and positive social behavior. It is a scientifically validated approach to understanding how environmental factors impact behavior. Positive Reinforcement is one of those principles, and explains that whenever a behavior is followed by a reward, the behavior is more likely to be repeated. Children receiving ABA therapy services receive tons of positive reinforcement for demonstrating useful skills and socially appropriate behaviors related to their goals.
ABA utilizes a goal driven approach to emphasize positive interactions and enjoyable learning while promoting a child’s skills through positive reinforcement, motivation, repetition, and visual aids.
- Direct service care (in all settings) by RBTs, BCBAs and LBAs
- Team leader (“Quarterback”)
- Parent training/consultation
- ABA Skills, FBA & BIP Evaluations
- Transition Coordination Services
- Supervision of BCBA & RBT
- Expert witness testimony
- Program assessment & development
- Workshops & trainings
Common components of ABA programming at NYC based MPG:
- Comprehensive Support – Our BCBAs provide direct intensive behavioral intervention, supervision of BCBA-eligible staff and team leadership in the home, school and community. We support the individual, family and entire educational team, including parent training, school transition and inclusion, professional workshops and expert testimony. We can also conduct ABA skills, FBA, BIP and educational program evaluations.
- Functional Communication – Increasing eye contact, phrases and gestures to increase effective and reciprocal communication. Our therapists are also trained in picture exchange communication (PECs)
- Increase and Maintain Reciprocal Interactions – We want children to initiate interactions in play and maintain turn taking and sensory social engagement with both peers and adults
- Focus on Play – we use a naturalistic behavioral model that is focused on learning through play and engagement. Our therapists utilize the following approaches: Early Start Denver Model, Pivotal Response Training, and Natural Environment Teaching.
- Reinforcement – focus on naturalistic, embedded reinforcers. We want the child to want to play with us and engage in a play routine. ABA is fun!
- Maintenance and Generalization – Skills need to be mastered and generalized across people and settings. It is our goal that the child will engage in desired behaviors spontaneously no matter where they are or who they are with.
- Outcome-based Decision Making – We place a large focus on initial and ongoing assessments (e.g., VB-MAPP, ABLLS, AFLS, VABS, FAST) to guide decision making, curriculum development and goal setting. This includes Functional Behavioral Assessment and BIP development. Our team meets on an ongoing basis to maintain consistency.
- Data Collection – Frequent, rigorous and meaningful data collection and monitoring via regular team meetings to ensure integrity of the program, including IOA-interobserver agreement
- Task Analysis – we break down larger behaviors into smaller tasks, then teach each task individually in order to increase mastery and fluidity of the larger behavior.
How An ABA Therapist at MPG is different than a typical ABA Therapist:
- Experience – the majority of our staff have their doctorates or teach ABA as college professors. Our BCBAs might also be special education teachers, school psychologists, neuroscientists, social workers or clinical psychologists. This gives us a depth and breadth of knowledge far beyond ABA alone, as team leaders, supervisors and direct service care providers.
- BCBA Direct Service – Unlike other ABA agencies that only use behavior technicians (paraprofessionals, RBT, CBAA) to deliver the direct service under supervision of a BCBA, we employ BCBAs to provide direct service for private pay and DOE-funded cases. This means better care from more qualified professionals, which parents love!
- Family Focus – our ABA clinicians are excellent at creating family-oriented, data-driven programs with real-world meaning. We focus on teaching independent life skills and reducing problematic behaviors, while also providing support to the entire family and across settings.
- Naturalistic – our ABA meets the needs of the learner and changes over time as the patient builds mastery. Our BCBAs balance teaching discrete and real-world skills in a way that harnesses the therapist-patient relationship and external rewards.
- Responsiveness – our staff are dedicated employees, not independent contractors, which means more focused attention, enhanced teamwork and better treatment fidelity across clinicians. We work in all settings, during the week and weekends! We also have two full-time administrators so you will always hear back from us within 1 business day.
MPG provides ABA therapy services for children, adolescents and adults who may have eating, speaking, emotional, and/or behavioral difficulties. We can work in the home, at school, in the community and in our offices, during the week and even on the weekends! Our office is located in Manhattan, NYC and is easily accessible by car or public transit. Finally, MPG provides BCBA services for school districts and non-profit organizations.
We’re going In-Network with Commercial Insurance for ABA! The 3 ways we can provide ABA to children and adults with Autism:
- Private pay – If you want to pay privately for a BCBA to provide direct service, supervision, parent training, treatment coordination or programming, we can conduct an assessment to authorize out-of-network treatment and provide paid receipts for patients to submit for out-of-network reimbursement. We do not bill insurance directly for this service.
- DOE-Funded Impartial Hearing Orders – If you have won an impartial hearing settlement or pendency decision and need to contract ABA services, our New York State LBAs can provide the services and then bill the DOE so there are no costs to the parent.
- Insurance-based ABA – We are currently credentialing with 6 major insurance carriers in NY (Cigna, BCBS, Aetna, Fidelis, Beacon and Optum/United) via our sister company, Manhattan Psychology Associates, PLLC. Click here to submit your information to join our wait list. This ABA will be provided by an RBT/behavior tech under supervision of an BCBA/LBA. We will bill your insurance directly and collect any co-insurance or co-pays at the time of service so there is minimal cost to the family.